Friday, June 19, 2009

Oval Gears

The past two days I have been building Oval gears, with a laser etcher.


I found this at Thingiverse.com, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:205 . I decided to cut it out of acrylic with the laser cutter, because well I have one to use, for the time being. I downloaded the file included and fired the laser! This came out.



It was a prototype. The spacing on the brackets was too close together, and the whole thing would shatter violently... Yay for prototyping! I'm pretty sure the problem lied in the fact that the laser made too little waste and the teeth meshed together and stressed the whole brace. So trial and error (x30) later I came out with my working model. Lots of help from a wonderful man, Ronald Hofman. He has helped me tremendously throughout the whole process. Thank you very much.

2 comments: