Sunday, February 1, 2009

Viola: Part 1

Yes a Viola, NOT a Violin. Now that that's out of the way, onto the post.

This is my first attempt at a viol family instrument, I'm going off nothing but seeing a few in the past and research done on the internet. I made an electric guitar a while ago but that's a different mindset and build. My second attempt at this will be with a book from someone who knows what they are doing.

So like any good maker, I did my homework on the workings, parts, styles, and builds of the instrument. After I was satisfied with the collection of information (I use Google notebooks to keep info) I drew up and printed a plan at a local print shop.

After that I transferred the plan on to the wood. I picked white poplar because it's relatively easy to work with, decent strength, from my research I found it has a nice tone, and it was available.


The basic construction is the top plate on the left their has the sound holes cut into it, and unfortunately I forgot to capture a pic of it but the inside was chiseled out to make the wood thinner. Then another cutout was made and its center cut out to form a spacer layer. Then another cut out was made to form the back. It was chiseled out as well. The three layers were then glued together.


So after it was glued together, it was sanded down for smoothness and to thin the back plate even further. A notch was cut in the top for the fingerboard to fit into and it was glued into place. The fingerboard was just made from a poplar post and cut into shape. What it will basically look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment