Sunday, January 25, 2009

Eye Bolt

Ok, So thing like this are why I really started this blog. My physics teacher needed a long narrow eye bolt, for his bridge breaking apparatus. The old one worked fine but was a bit to short for some bridges.

Sure he could just buy a longer eye bolt off the internet, but that's expensive and not nearly as fun, as you will find out. Also you cant customize it to the specs that you want. What one is left with is a prime time to DIY.

I went to the local hardware store and found a long threaded rod, basically the same thing as the eye bolt, just really long and straight. So I bought it and took it home with me (besides the point but I think there was a glitch in the computer because both cost me a penny...). Now I had to contemplate how to form this into the shape I wanted.

It's time for that fun I mentioned earlier. I got my oxy-mapp welding torch out, and all the safety equipment required as well! As well as some pliars. I secured the rod in my table vice, and proceed to heat it up with the torch. Once it was glowing hot, it was plenty malleable to bend the end into a loop. Presto! Custom eye bolts!

1 comment:

  1. I am currently not spamming.
    I do not exist.
    I always lie.
    Now for relevant comments:
    Erm....
    Good... Job?
    Yeah. That
    GJ.
    HAHA that kinda sounds like OJ (see, GJ, OJ)
    and OJ is Orange Juice
    so now
    I AM HUNGRY AND THIRSTY
    of course that changes nothing...
    but still.
    Oh...
    and...
    (classic)
    FIRST POST!!! w00tz
    yeah
    I pwn.
    check out my blog at logicandmath.blogspot.com
    It is not as nerdy as it seems.
    WHoops
    sorry it AINT as nerdy as it seems
    yeahh
    I guess my comment got kinda long, huh?
    yeah so...
    I'm gonna try and finish it up now...
    so
    this is the end of the comment
    oh
    but
    one last thing
    good job
    now i am going away
    forever
    not really
    i will be back
    and
    i will comment some more!
    yay

    ReplyDelete